Colonoscopy & Endoscopy Waitlists
Question without notice
Ms ARMITAGE question to DEPUTY LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Ms HOWLETT
Could the Deputy Leader please advise -
(1) The current waiting list for colonoscopy and endoscopy categories 1, 2 and 3 at the North West Regional Hospital, the Royal Hobart Hospital and the Launceston General Hospital?
(2) How many cases are over boundary in each category across the state and the above‑mentioned hospitals?
(3) What is the length of time they have been over boundary?
(4) What is the 75th percentile wait for these categories at each hospital?
(5) What are the medium wait times for category 1, category 2 and category 3 patients at the North West Regional Hospital, the Royal Hobart Hospital and the Launceston General Hospital?
Mr President, I thank the member for Launceston for her question.
The Government has provided additional resourcing for colonoscopy and endoscopy procedures in recent years, including $5 million in 2019-20, which has provided more than 2000 additional colonoscopies thanks to the funding from the federal government. The Tasmanian Endoscopy Care Network has also been established to improve, optimise and sustain endoscopy services in Tasmania.
The following waiting list data includes various procedures -
· Colonoscopy (Bowel Cancer Screening Program)
· Colonoscopy (non-surgical)
· Direct Access Colonoscopy (Bowel Cancer Screening Program)
· Direct Access Colonoscopy non-surgical
· Direct Access Upper GI Endoscopy
· Upper GI Endoscopy
· Direct Access Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy
· Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy
· EUS Endoscopic Ultrasound (total 325) -
Ms Armitage - I do not know want to know what is in them, I simply want to know category 1, category 2 and category 3.
Ms HOWLETT - I have all that information for you. Can I seek leave to table the document?
Ms Armitage - I would prefer it not tabled if possible, please.
Leave granted; see Appendix 1 for incorporated document (page 59).
Ms Armitage - Is there further information to come on this answer, though? That is all right; I want to make sure because I have been given limited answers in the past.
Ms HOWLETT - I will seek further information, but the member will find the information required incorporated in the Hansard.