William Mainprize - Continuing Search Efforts
Ms ARMITAGE to LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
With regard to the distressing sinking of the Gulf Livestock I near the coast of Japan in early September and the possible loss of Tasmanian man, William Mainprize, will the Leader please advise -
(1) The Government has stated that the Premier's Office has been in contact with the Commonwealth departments of Home Affairs and Foreign Affairs and Trade, seeking their support for continuing search efforts. Can the Leader advise what the precise nature of this support entails?
(2) Given the critical time factor in this case, can the Tasmanian Government make a commitment to lobbying the Commonwealth Government to undertake search and rescue efforts?
(3) What ongoing commitments can the Tasmanian Government make to questions (1) and (2)?
Mr President, I thank the member for Launceston for her question.
(1) The Tasmanian Government has sought information updates from the Australian Government, passed on the family's requests and advocated for the Australian Government to continue working with the Japanese government in relation to the sinking of the Gulf Livestock I.
(2) The Tasmanian Government will continue discussions with the Australian Government in relation to this matter.
(3) The Tasmanian Government will continue discussions with the Australian Government in relation to this matter as well.