Question - AFL Club Sponsorships
Thursday 25 August 2022, Question without notice
Ms ARMITAGE question to LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
With the contract with Hawthorn finishing following the final game on Sunday 21 August, can the Leader please advise:
(1) when does the contract with North Melbourne expire, noting their contract was exclusively with TT-Line, a Tasmanian government business enterprise;
(2) whether the contract with Hawthorn will be renewed;
(3) whether the contract with North Melbourne will be renewed;
(4) if the answer to questions (2) or (3) is yes, for what period the contract will be renewed, given that even if the AFL allows Tasmania to have a team of our own, that would not take effect for a number of years;
(5) have any discussions taken place with Hawthorn regarding future Tasmanian Government sponsorship;
(6) have any discussions taken place with North Melbourne, either via the Government or the government business enterprise TT-Line, regarding future sponsorship?
Mr President, I thank the member for her questions.
(1) TT-Line has advised that the current sponsorship agreement expires at the end of the 2022 season.
(2) Discussions about a future agreement with the Hawthorn Football Club are tied to the outcome of the ongoing negotiations with the AFL for a Tasmanian licence.
(3) TT-Line has advised that this is unknown at this time.
(4) As per the answers to questions (2) and (3), discussions are ongoing regarding any future agreements, therefore the outcomes of these discussions are not yet known.
(5) The Tasmanian Government and Hawthorn Football Club partnership has continued for over 20 years. There is regular communication between the two entities.
(6) As the current sponsorship agreement ends at the end of 2022 season, TT-Line is having discussions with North Melbourne Football Club. The outcome of these discussions is not yet known and will remain commercial-in-confidence.