Question - AFL contracts with North Melbourne & Hawthorn
Tuesday 8 November 2022, Question without notice
Ms ARMITAGE question to LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
Further to my questions asked and answered in August of this year related to contracts between the Tasmanian Government and the North Melbourne and Hawthorn football clubs, can the Leader please advise:
(1) what progress has been made in the discussions about a future agreement with the Hawthorn Football Club to play in Tasmania;
(2) if it is known at this stage, whether the contract with North Melbourne will be renewed; and
(3) will the issues currently under investigation at the Hawthorn Football Club affect the likelihood of a sponsorship renewal?
I have an answer to the member for Launceston with her question about the Hawthorn Football Club.
(1) The Hawthorn Football Club agreement expired at the end of the 2022 season and discussions about a future agreement are tied to the outcome of the ongoing negotiations with the AFL for a Tasmanian licence.
(2) The North Melbourne Football Club AFLW contract expires at the end of 2024. Therefore, it is too early to consider the renewal of this contract. The North Melbourne Football Club AFL contract is managed by TT-Line.
(3) The AFL has announced an independent review of these matters, which the Tasmanian Government supports. The Government will consider the findings of the review when they are released.