Question without notice - Biosecurity Staff in Western Australia
Thursday 11 November 2021
Ms ARMITAGE question to LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
Regarding the Tasmanian Government-employed Biosecurity Tasmania staff stationed at Perth Airport on 5 November 2021, can the Leader please advise:
(1) Are these staff stationed at Perth or other airports on a regular basis, and if not, the reasons for their presence?
(2) What was the purported benefit of these officers stationed at Perth Airport, Western Australia, given they only asked passengers if they had their travel permit to Tasmania and did not ask to view or scan them?
(3) How long were these staff located in Perth, Western Australia, and do they attend each flight to Tasmania or was it just the inaugural direct flight from Perth, Western Australia, to Launceston?
Mr President, I thank the member for her question.
(1) Biosecurity Tasmania has engaged passenger service contractors based in all major airports with direct services to Tasmania. They assist travellers and boost the visibility of Tasmania's border rules, as per the Premier's 4 Point Delta Shield Plan, point 1 - strong border controls.
(2) Passenger service contractors educate and support travellers and encourage them to register in the Tas e-Travel system. They do not have any legislative powers under the act but can advise of the action that will take place upon arrival, if not registered to travel.
(3) They have been operating since early September 2021 and attend all Tasmanian-bound services.